All students in Years 2 to 12 will have an iPad as their core Information Communication Technology (ICT) to support learning at school and home. The iPad’s compact design, long battery life, accessibility, ease of use and functionality make it an ideal tool to facilitate learning in an information-rich environment.
Parents of students in Years 2 to 12 will provide an iPad for the students as standard school equipment. Sets of iPads will be available for student use in Prep and Year 1. Subjects with specialist ICT requirements will have access to technologies designed to address specific learning requirements.
To ensure compatibility, performance and reliability, and based on our experience over the last two years:
- iPad supplied by parents must have a camera and be able to run iOS 7. (Not an iPad mini.)
- Parents can decide whether to supply a 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB iPad. We strongly recommend a WiFi only model to reduce the cost and ensure internet traffic goes through our network services while at school.
- We strongly recommend purchasing an extended warranty (AppleCare Protection Plan) and a robust case that will minimise potential damage. We have found the Griffin Survivor case to be highly effective.
- iPads will probably need to be replaced after two school years.
Parents will be asked to purchase the following items. (The cost listed in the brackets has been provided as a guide.)
- Earphones - we recommend Apple Earphones with remote and microphone ($35)
- Apps required on all student iPads:
Parents may also like to provide their child with a keyboard and/or a stylus. These items are not required, but some students may find them useful.
A number of stipulations apply to this programme.
- Students and their families will be given responsibility for their iPad.
- All use is subject to digital citizenship understanding
- Apps purchased by students/families remain the property of the family.
Students will be responsible for ensuring that:
- they use the device in accord with school rules, policies and procedures as well as expected standards
- they have their iPad with them in class
- there is always space on the iPad for the storage of school-related files
- the device is charged
- device has the required apps installed and texts available
- problems or damage are promptly reported to IT Support
- theft is reported promptly to the relevant Head of School.
Students are permitted to place music, video, apps etc on the iPad with the expectation that:
- content inappropriate for school is not accessed or shown to others while at school
- space is left in the memory for files for school-work.
Students who fail to meet their responsibilities in regard to their iPad will be dealt with via the College's responsible thinking process and discipline system. Students may be instructed to delete apps used inappropriately while at school.
Students in Middle and Senior School will be provided with a locker to store their iPad when engaged in Core PE, Sport and times when iPad use is inappropriate / impossible. Students in Junior School will store their iPads in the classroom. (Bar exceptional circumstances and under the supervision of a staff member, iPads will not be used during breaks.)
Parents / Carers
When the iPad is not on campus, parents / carers will need to support their children in the device's use and care.
AppleCare Protection Plan for iPads (i.e. warranty) is cost effective. It also includes two years of telephone support.
Families can decide whether to insure their child’s iPad. Please consult your insurance broker.
As is the case in all facets of life at school, our staff will endeavour to support students in their development of responsible behaviour and actions.